Mazda’s predictive i-ACTIV AWD is an on-demand system featuring sensors that check road conditions 200 times every second. Built to sense, and respond to these conditions, i-ACTIV AWD helps to ensure a more confident drive.
- The i-ACTIV AWD system uses numerous sensors to determine the driver’s intentions. Is the driver intending to accelerate? How sharply is the steering wheel turned? How much pressure is on the brakes? These and other considerations are taken into account, and determine how the system reacts in order to achieve optimum control.
- i-ACTIV AWD constantly monitors exterior temperature, wiper operation, the amount of torque required to turn the front wheels and the load on the engine. As a result, the system knows if it’s snowing or raining, if the road is slippery, if the driver is on a hill or attempting to turn. This enables the i-ACTIV AWD system to accurately predict when slippage will occur.
- i-ACTIV AWD is designed to send just enough torque to the rear wheels to prevent slippage from occurring. By doing this, it provides the traction associated with all-wheel drive, while minimizing the impact on fuel consumption.
- Purchase and installation of equipment exceeding $750 will be paid a maximum of $750
Uncompromised fuel efficiency
i-ACTIV AWD was designed to deliver exceptional responsiveness and to challenge the convention that an AWD vehicle must be inefficient. In order to deliver the benefits of AWD and excellent fuel efficiency they set out to reduce the weight of the AWD components and to minimize frictional losses.
- Engineers even studied the way the oil moves through the gears in order to enhance the efficiency of the system.
- In creating i-ACTIV AWD, engineers carefully scrutinized the design and materials used for every component. The result of these efforts is a 43% weight reduction compared to the previous generation system.